Energy Star is a website we often recommend for energy-saving tips for consumers. Right now, the site has the handy Home Advisor, offering tips for homeowners here in the San Diego area and other parts of the country.
Using information such as your local zip code and how you cool and heat your home and water, the tool will give you energy efficiency home improvement suggestions tailored to our area. The tips can also save you money on your monthly power bills and help you create a more comfortable home environment for yourself and your family.
Local residents in zip code 92101, with a heat pump furnace, air conditioner and gas water heater get tips like these:
- Seal any drafts or air leaks in the home. Begin with any large leaks in the attic, basement or crawlspaces, then caulk or weatherstrip your doors, windows and electrical outlets.
- Seal up any accessible leaks in the ductwork using a compound called duct mastic. Contact a professional HVAC contractor to seal your ductwork and test to be sure it has no more than 10 percent total leakage.
- Add insulation. R-30 insulation material is best for attics and R-13 for exterior walls in theSan Diegoarea.
- Use an Energy Star water heater, windows and lighting fixtures/bulbs. Select a water heater with .62 EF or better.
- Install a programmable thermostat. They’re compatible with most home comfort systems and will automatically set back the temperature when you’re asleep or out of the house.
- Think about a new A/C or heating system if yours is more than ten years old or if it isn’t keeping your home comfortable anymore.
Have questions about energy savings? Contact the pros at ASI Hastings Heating and Air Conditioning. We provide complete home comfort services to the residents ofSan DiegoCounty. If you’d like, we can schedule an energy assessment (Click Here to learn more) of your home and suggest specific improvements to save you energy and money long term. We can also handle most of the recommended work for you. Please visit our website for more information or contact us.