An air conditioner has several parts that require regular tune-ups in order to function efficiently for years to come. If you neglect simple routine maintenance, you can expect your A/C equipment to gradually decline in performance as energy costs steadily increase. Here is a checklist of some basic preventive maintenance tips you can use to increase your system’s efficiency and longevity.
One of the most important preventive maintenance checks is to clean or replace the filter. Dirty or clogged filters reduce airflow and make your system work harder than necessary. Therefore, by keeping the furnace filter clean, you can improve your system’s efficiency by 5-50 percent. You should inspect and clean or replace the filter as needed every one to two months during the cooling season.
Other Precision tune-up items include:
- Checking the evaporator coil
- Lubricating the fan motor
- Monitoring the expansion valve
- Testing the fan limit switch
- Cleaning the evaporator drain
- Checking the start and run delays
- Adjusting the balancing dampers
- Monitoring the refrigerant level
- Inspecting the valves
- Adjusting the operating pressures
- Checking the flue
- Tightening electrical connections
- Cleaning the condenser coil
- Adjusting the thermostat calibration
- Inspecting the ductwork system
Each of these preventive maintenance steps will keep your A/C running longer and more efficiently while allowing you to cool your home at a lower cost. By scheduling an annual Precision Tune-up, you can also add years to the life of your equipment and add to your peace of mind, knowing that you are staving off expensive repairs and replacements with affordable annual maintenance.
If it’s time for your A/C’s next checkup, contact ASI Hastings Heating and Air Conditioning for professional, affordable service in San Diego.