Designing home ductwork may not sound as glamorous as designing a sports car, but it’s important. Well-designed ducts keep your home cool in the summer and warm in winter, cut down on pollutants and allergens in your indoor air, and save you money on utility bills.
If you’re not sure about the efficiency of the duct system in your home, answering these questions can help you determine whether maintenance or even replacement is in order:
- Are some rooms hard to keep cool in summer?
- Are some rooms too cold in winter?
- Do you notice outside chemical smells when you’re indoors?
- Do you have a lot of dust?
- Are your utility bills steadily rising?
If you’ve answered “yes” to any of these questions, your ducts may be in need of maintenance or replacing. That’s not unusual — the California Energy Commission estimates that about 30 percent of the conditioned air generated in a typical home goes to waste due to leaks or poorly designed ductwork.
What kind of problems might be hidden in the crawlspaces of your home?
- Ducts may be too small to efficiently circulate air throughout your home.
- Ductwork may require additional insulation.
- Ductwork may be crushed because of workers in your attic.
- Ducts may be twisted, out of position or disconnected due to age or improper installation.
Your air conditioning and heating systems will not work efficiently if the ductwork is flawed and if that’s the case, you’re not only throwing money away on energy costs, you’re also compromising your family’s comfort and health.
If you suspect a problem with your ductwork configuration, please give us a call or contact us online. Serving the residents of San Diego since 1952, the trained technicians of ASI Hastings Heating & Air Conditioning are here to serve all of your heating and air conditioning needs.