You know you’ll need to replace your home’s heating and cooling systems eventually, but how do you know if this is the year to take action? It may be time to consider a new HVAC system for your San Diego-area home if your furnace or air conditioner shows negative signs in these areas:
- Age – If your air conditioner or heat pump is more than 10 years old or your heating system (boiler or furnace) is more than 15, you’ll save a significant amount on your utility costs by choosing a new Energy Star model. Your new equipment can pay for itself quite quickly through energy savings and potential tax credits.
- Repairs – If your system needs frequent repairs or even one big-budget repair, it may be cost-effective to go for a new model. It will certainly be more convenient to do so, and with new technology your home will likely be more comfortable and use less energy.
- Rising energy costs – If your energy bills have been on the rise, this is another low-performance indicator.
- Comfort level – If you old system is just not doing the job anymore, leaving some rooms uncomfortably hot or too cold, it’s time to weigh your options for repair or replacement.
- Comfort controls – If your system doesn’t have a programmable thermostat, you are probably wasting energy and money. Consider upgrading to a programmable thermostat so you can set back your system to save energy when you’re away or sleeping.
- Humidity control – Consider a new system with humidity control features if your old one lacks in this area. Leaky duct work could also be the culprit of humidity issues.
- Dust – Excess dust in the home can be caused by leaking ducts. Duct sealing may be in order before installing a new system.
- Noise – Noise issues may be due to an undersized duct system or a potentially fixable problem with your indoor A/C coil. New systems are engineered to operate more quietly.
For help solving the repair-or-replace dilemma, contact the experts at ASI Hastings Heating & Air Conditioning.